Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Color Wars

April 2009 – We closed on the house on March 9, 2009, making Easter (April 12, 2009) our first holiday there. We had the bright idea that inviting the extended fam to join us for Easter dinner would motivate us to get lots of work done during that first month. Genius, really. As you've already heard, we were (barely) successful in finishing the hardwood floors and getting the electrical work done before we moved in the last weekend of March.

Monica's Rainbow
One of the first things I always do when moving into a new place is paint. It started with my first apartment sophomore year in college. My roommate and I painted our living/dining space a crazy fire-engine-esque red that was so popular the apartment complex actually asked us for the specific color (which I’ve long forgotten) so they could paint other units with it. 

When I first moved up to New Jersey, I knew I would have to paint the soaring 16 foot walls of my Victor Loft. I went with a bright Tiffany blue (again, the specific color is now forgotten) for the entire living/dining/kitchen space (minus this one pesky corner that was nearly impossible to reach and remained unpainted for a good 6 months). 

So of course, when I had the opportunity to paint a space that I actually OWN (good riddance to the days of having to paint walls back to their original (boring) color when I leave) . . . there was no stopping me!! 
Benjamin  Moore Putnam Ivory

Benjamin Moore Powel Buff
Even before we closed on the house I had paint chips hanging on the wall of our old townhouse and constantly tortured Taylor with the nuances between colors like these two.  


After much debate (this is what happens when two lawyers get married) we agreed upon the Putnam Ivory for use in the common areas of our house.

And of course I just HAD to get paint on the walls before we hosted our first Easter celebration. With all that we were trying to accomplish, it literally came down to the wire with me putting paint on the last wall of the living room about an hour before guests began arriving. Luckily we used eco-friendly Aura paint, so there was virtually no odor and dinner went off without a hitch!

1 comment:

  1. For the record, there were not just two paint samples to pick from. Our walls were covered with cut out samples. And we had to view them over a course of many days, from different angles and in different lighting. Who knew there were so many colors of white!

    ReplyDelete